Love when my creative juices start flowing…Last week I made a Vegan, Gluten Free Stuffed Pepper- created entirely by me! This recipe is health, stuffed in a pepper! I feel like a scientist 🙂
I was able to get my hands on some Quinoa, one of my favorite “grains” that is becoming increasingly popular. If you haven’t heard of it yet, allow me to introduce to you the “Mother Grain” that is Quinoa (pronounced: Keen-wah). To be clear, Quinoa is not a grain, it just happens to fall into the category of grain. Its actually a plant crop that is grown primarily for its seeds, and it is the “seeds” that we cook and consume.
0.25 cup (185.00 grams)
- Get a large pot of water to boil. Cut the tops of the red peppers and remove the seeds and linings of the pepper. Place them in the boiling water pot for ~7 minutes.
- In another pot, start cooking the quinoa. Add 1 1/2 cups water to 3/4 cup dry quinoa. Bring to a boil, and reduce to a simmer for about 20 minutes, or until all water is absorbed (just like rice!). Remove from heat for about 10 minutes and fluff with fork.
- Meanwhile, in a pan, add some oil, sautee onions for about 5 minutes, followed by broccoli, mushrooms, and chopped tomatoes. Sautee for another 5-8 minutes.
- Once quinoa is finished cooking, add it to the vegetable mixture and toss until combined.
- Scoop the quinoa veggie mixture into the hollowed out red peppers until topped off. Grill the stuffed peppers until the sides are charred. (You may have to turn them once or twice) ~ 20 minutes. Remove from heat, peel the charred skin off the pepper to expose the soft, tender skin underneath.
- Enjoy a gluten free, karma free dinner!
TIPS: I realized that what really made this dish so tasty and delicious was the herbs that I chose to use. its amazing how much flavor some fresh or dried herbs can give a dish. Feel free to use your favorite herbs and explore. Remember, the beauty of most vegetarian dishes is you can use whatever veggies your heart desires- have fun with it and if you create your own variation of the MIGHTY STUFFED PEPPER, please feel free to share with us…it may even be tastier than mine! 🙂